Developer Advocate - Internal Developer Portal
Software Engineering, Legal
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Posted on Monday, September 4, 2023
Harness is a high-growth company that is disrupting the software delivery market. Our mission is to enable the 30 million software developers in the world to deliver code to their users reliably, efficiently, securely and quickly, increasing customers’ pace of innovation while improving the developer experience. We offer solutions for every step of the software delivery lifecycle to build, test, secure, deploy and manage reliability, feature flags and cloud costs. The Harness Software Delivery Platform includes modules for CI, CD, Cloud Cost Management, Feature Flags, Service Reliability Management, Security Testing Orchestration, Chaos Engineering, and continues to expand at an incredibly fast pace.
Harness is led by technologist and entrepreneur Jyoti Bansal, who founded AppDynamics and sold it to Cisco for $3.7B. We’re backed with $425M in venture financing from top-tier VC and strategic firms, including J.P. Morgan, Capital One Ventures, Citi Ventures, ServiceNow, Splunk Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Adage Capital Partners, Balyasny Asset Management, Gaingels, Harmonic Growth Partners, Menlo Ventures, IVP, Unusual Ventures, GV (formerly Google Ventures), Alkeon Capital, Battery Ventures, Sorenson Capital, Thomvest Ventures and Silicon Valley Bank.
The mission of Harness is to empower the 30M+ developers in the world with the ability to deliver software to end customers with the highest velocity, highest quality, highest security, highest reliability, and lowest costs, all without compromising on the necessary governance guardrails. According to a recent analyst study, less than five percent of organizations achieve that goal today.
As a Developer Advocate at Harness, you will further our mission by reaching and educating developers on the breadth and depth of the software delivery platform. You will primarily be responsible for the Platform Engineering space and a subject matter expert for our new Internal Developer Portal module. You will partner with Product, Engineering, Sales, and Marketing teams to write technical documentation as well as create onboarding content such as tutorials & videos, backed by code samples hosted on public repos. You will distribute your content across multiple mediums, reaching various communities, and tying it with campaigns around our product. You will identify adoption challenges and developer pain points, document solutions as well as work with the team to solve them. You will understand how features are categorized into differentiation vs. table stakes. And you will also deeply understand where exactly competing products are weak on differentiation. You will create a content plan that increases user acquisition and activation by highlighting the Harness differentiation, align it across the company, and execute; which includes metrics and dissemination of results back to the company.
- Directly own technical documentation and developer advocacy of the Internal Developer Portal module
- Build awareness and motivate developers/DevOps engineers to use the features provided by Harness IDP including Software Catalog, DevOps workflows for new service onboarding, Scorecards, Harness pipelines and more. Understand and highlight Harness's differentiators around fast, high quality, secure, reliable and efficient software delivery
- Be hands-on. Develop and maintain resources for developers, such as demos and software tools, code samples, documentation, how-to guides, and tutorials
- Present at conferences, meetups as well as organize hands-on workshops
- Participate in the cloud-native ecosystem and community, building strong relationships with developers, DevOps/Cloud/Platform engineers
- Engage external communities like GitHub, Slack, Stack Overflow, Reddit, and Discord to identify new resources that should be created and own the delivery of those pieces
- Partner with every function in Marketing from Integrated/Events to Product Marketing to develop the best content and great product narratives
- 3+ years as a developer and 1+ years in an advocacy or educational role such as developer relations/evangelism, creating technical content, leading a community of developers via forums or events
- You have 3+ examples of technical educational content aimed for professional developers (e.g. tutorial, video series, blog series, course)
- At least one professional project using DevOps technologies
- Preference for those with expertise in Kubernetes, CI/CD, monitoring and other cloud native tools
- Have a proven track record in understanding ROI, reporting and analytics, including understanding metrics for developer engagement.
- Ability to prioritize competing opportunities and balance user needs versus business priorities
- Willingness to contribute to Open Source projects like backstage.io
- Familiarity with the latest DevOps and Platform engineering practices followed by mid to large organizations
- Stellar written and verbal communication skills
- Scrappy & has a mindset that done is better than perfect
WHAT YOU WILL HAVE AT HARNESS
- Experience building a transformative product
- End-to-end ownership of your projects
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive healthcare benefit
- Flexible work schedule
- Paid Time Off and Parental Leave
- Monthly, quarterly, and annual social and team-building events
- TGIF-Off program
- Remote office stipend
- Monthly internet reimbursement
- Monthly Food & Beverage Reimbursement Program