Software Engineer Manager
We are Bugcrowd. Since 2012, we’ve been empowering organizations to take back control and stay ahead of threat actors by uniting the collective ingenuity and expertise of our customers and trusted alliance of elite hackers, with our patented data and AI-powered Security Knowledge Platform™. Our network of hackers brings diverse expertise to uncover hidden weaknesses, adapting swiftly to evolving threats, even against zero-day exploits. With unmatched scalability and adaptability, our data and AI-driven CrowdMatch™ technology in our platform finds the perfect talent for your unique fight. We aim to create a new era of modern crowdsourced security that outpaces threat actors. Unleash the ingenuity of the hacker community with Bugcrowd, visit www.bugcrowd.com. Based in San Francisco, Bugcrowd is supported by Rally Ventures, Costanoa Ventures, Blackbird Ventures, Triangle Peak Partners, and others.
At Bugcrowd, a Software Engineer Manager is responsible for coaching, mentoring and developing engineers on our team, and overseeing (with or without team leads) several engineering teams in their sprint execution. Software Engineer Managers assist their Director with roadmap planning, career levelling and feedback, and labour to keep the team moving forward at all times.
In this role, you will:
- Oversee allocation of work to team-members intelligently, ensuring that no team member is overburdened and everyone knows what to work on next
- Coach and mentor individual contributors, identifying gaps in knowledge and helping fill them out, and working to enhance strengths already present in the team
- Manage hiring for their respective teams, working with Directors of Engineering to post job descriptions, review applications, interview candidates, and onboard new employees
- Work with Directors of Engineering, Product Managers and the broader business to identify business problems and prioritise them for solving
- Define and analyze business requirements to determine specifications and standards; proposes and develops solutions and conveys these solutions through Requirement Specification documents
- Monitor system uptime and performance, troubleshooting and resolving errors with their teams
- Propose software solutions, determining the cost of new versus modified systems
- Review code to ensure conformance to standards and to identify any skill gaps that need to be addressed within their team
- May continue to be involved as an occasional Individual Contributor, but is primarily concerned with the development and pacing of the teams they’re responsible for, and solving larger business problems
As a manager, you will:
- Leads and directs the work of other employees and has full authority for personnel decisions within their team(s)
- May have one or more Team Leads reporting to them, and is otherwise responsible for running one or more Software Engineering teams
- Primarily focus on administering established policies and procedures
- Serve as leader of authority with expert-level knowledge in one or more areas
- Make authoritative decisions and recommendations about sprint operations and engineering practice
- Plan, organize, and guide projects and subordinate employees
*Please note we are only currently considering AUS-based candidates
Desired Skills & Experience
- Preferred: Bachelors degree in IT, Computer Science, or a related field
- Knowledge and understanding of Business Management (through an Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience; particularly understanding of business metrics and drivers of success)
- Experience leading a team of software engineers across several projects
- Experience as a software engineering contributor, preferably to a level of expertise in one or more relevant fields or technology stacks
- Software development in Ruby on Rails, Kotlin and Spring, or Java and Spring
- Event-driven software design at scale, particularly software that uses a message bus architecture (e.g. Kafka, RabbitMQ), and the various trade-offs of a Service-oriented Architecture versus a traditional MVC monolith
- An understanding of the security industry, particularly in the Bug Bounty or Penetration Testing space, and how Bugcrowd fits into the larger picture for our customers and hackers
- Keen understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle at previous companies, and how the SDLC can differ across companies, and how Scrum should be applied in theory and in practice
- Demonstrated ability to review design proposals, help write requirement specifications, and break a design down into epics, stories and tasks, and estimate the time/complexity of stories and tasks to aid in efficient allocation of work to ICs
- An understanding of Australian employment law
- Decent writing skills
- Ability to lead a team, motivating team members to work collaboratively
- Ability to defuse conflict, resolving differences of opinion in a constructive manner
- Ability to delegate as appropriate
- Ability to “manage upward”, anticipating requests from Directors, and helping guide and drive their practices to the benefit of the team and the broader business
- At Bugcrowd, we understand that diversity in the workplace is vital to a company’s success and growth. We strive to make sure that people are included and have a sense of being part of making Bugcrowd not only a great product but a great place to work.
- We regularly hear from both customers and researchers that Bugcrowd feels like a family, and we strive to maintain that internally as well.
- Our team consists of a broad range of people: musicians, adventure sports junkies, nature lovers, parents, cereal enthusiasts, night owls, cyclists, artists—you get the point.
At Bugcrowd, we are solving security threats and vulnerabilities that are relevant to everyone, therefore we believe solving these problems takes all kinds of backgrounds. We value the perspectives and experiences people from underrepresented backgrounds bring.
This position has access to highly confidential, sensitive information relating to the technologies of Bugcrowd. It is essential that the applicant possess the requisite integrity to maintain the information in the strictest confidence.
The company is authorized to obtain background checks for employment purposes under state and federal law. Background checks will be conducted for positions that involve access to confidential or proprietary information (including trade secrets).
Background checks may include Social Security verification, prior employment verification, personal and professional references, educational verification, and criminal history. Applicants with conviction histories will not be excluded from consideration to the extent required by law.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Bugcrowd is EOE, Disability/Age Employer.
Individuals seeking employment at Bugcrowd are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
Apply at: https://www.bugcrowd.com/about/careers/